(Muthupanthiya island coastal erosion)
The people of the area say that Sri Lanka will soon lose the Muthupanthiya island, which is in Chilaw- Aarricikkittu area.
This threat is due to the coastal erosion occuring around the Muthupanthiya island, which is located in 500 metres away from the coast
About 150 families live in this island, whose livelihood is fishing.
In the past, the rocks were laid around the island to protect from the sea. However, people
from the island said they were worthless attempts.
It is noteworthy that the sea level has increased rapidly because of the construction of the Colombo Port City, which is located in Colombo’s Galle Face.
Furthermore, the fish breeding in Negombo area also is also affected.
Top Stories :
- Galle face roundabout to ceramic junction road to be closed
- Former Sri Lanka Star Cricketer Divorces His Wife?
- Horror in Jaffna: 3 year old girl brutally murdered, Granny mercilessly attacked ( Video)
- Maithiripala Siriena reveals a secret that no one knows!
- Tense situation at Jaffna University: Confrontation Between Majority Students
- Sumanthiran’s comment on the unitary system is a blatant lie – Gajendrakumar
- Disabled school bus driver arrested in Horana
- Fire reported in Jaffna bound train (Photos, Video)
- French boy who taught many Sri Lankans a lesson
Our Other websites :
Tags: Muthupanthiya island coastal erosion